The Southern Beekeepers Association has the following Executive:
Mr Peter Norris, President
Mr Bob Davey, Vice President
Mr Keith Wooldridge, Treasurer
Mrs Jenny Newton, Secretary
Ms Karla Williams, Committee member
Ms Chloe Carr, Committee member
Mr Steve Klose, Committee member
Mr Simon Ellis, Committee member
Mr Andrew Freeman, Committee member
Mr Maurice Rimes, Committee member
- Mr Steve Klose is the Association’s Membership Officer.
Ms Georgie Brown is the Editor of the Association’s monthly newsletter called Bee News, which is emailed/posted to all members – Feb. to Nov. inclusive.
- Mr Andrew Edwards is the Association’s Webmaster.
- Ms Ronnie Voigt is the Coordinator of the Association’s training courses, both the annual Beginners training courses and the Intermediate and Advanced courses.
- Ms Lori Lakos is the Coordinator of the Association’s presence at various Shows in southern Tasmania.
- Coordinators of the Association’s Apiary Sites: Gary Weiley for the three sites in the Huon/Esperance area; Simon Ellis for the site off the Gordon Road.
- Chairman of the Hive Site Allocation Committee: Ross Gordon
- Representative on the TBA Executive: Ross Gordon; reserve: Peter Brown.
The Association has a membership of about 300 beekeepers.
Meetings of the Association are held monthly at the Glenorchy LINC, with an attendance averaging about 45. For more details, see the ‘News’ tab.
As a guiding principle, the Association celebrates and embraces the diversity of opinion that typifies the beekeeping community.
A Field Day is held on a Sunday in early November – all welcome.
Local Beekeeping Networks
The local networks run throughout the year, meeting for sharing practices, mentoring and discussion. Seven Local Networking Groups are operating. If you would like to join one of these groups please contact the LBN Coordinator for your area and they will help organise meetings.
# Central Hobart Network Coordinator Sharron Baird 0408 311 641 firstname.lastname@example.org
# Clarence Network Coordinator Penni Lamprey 0416 220 833 email@example.com
# Cygnet Bee Network Coordinator: Lyn Havard 6295 1056/ 0439 845 955 firstname.lastname@example.org (a backup Coordinator is needed for this area)
# Kingston Bee Network Coordinator: Deb Quartararo 0439 396 061 email@example.com
# Merton Amateurs Network Coordinator: Ashby Newman 0438 78 1245 firstname.lastname@example.org
# Tasman Peninsula Network Coordinator: (vacant)
# Alternative Hives Network Coordinator: Ronnie Voigt 0419 391 949 email@example.com
Some of the key benefits of becoming a member of the Association include:
- access to education for the novice and advanced beekeeper;
- networking & social opportunities;
- advocacy for the craft and industry of beekeeping;
- access to, and support of research and development relevant to the industry;
- improving infrastructure important to beekeepers;
- representation of southern beekeepers’ interests to Government.
The Association also lobbies on behalf of the beekeeping industry as a whole, especially for the preservation of critical floral resources.
The Association holds beekeeping training courses each year – usually from August to November. Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced.
For details of the intermediate and advanced training please ask the Training Coordinator via the ‘Contact Us’ tab.
Southern Tasmania Bee Hotline
Ever opened up your hive and been a little worried that something is not quite right? Below is a list of experienced beekeepers, for those crucial times when you need some advice over the phone, after discovering something unusual happening in your hive. The following members have kindly volunteered to participate in the ‘Southern Tasmanian Bee Hotline’:
Peter Norris 6278 9007
Hedley Hoskinson 6229 1237
Laurie Cowen 6248 5315
Peter Brown 6268 5282
Useful Beekeeping Advice and Mentoring
The following beekeepers are less experienced but can give useful advice on less tricky issues, and – if you are a beginner and ask them nicely – may be able to act as your ‘buddy’ as you start your beekeeping journey.
Ross Gordon 0414 103 809
Maurice Rimes 0418 838 325
Bob Davey 6273 8907