As some of you may have already seen, Sustainable Timber Tasmania published public notices in all of the major Tasmania newspapers on the weekend to advise our stakeholders of our potential use of chemicals in 2017/18 in the limited circumstances where it is essential to manage weeds and pests and to promote optimal tree growth.
There are two main uses: insecticide application to prevent severe defoliation of eucalypt plantations by insect pests; and herbicide application for control of weeds prior to tree planting or sowing.
All chemicals used by Sustainable Timber Tasmania are approved for use in Australia by the Australian Pesticide and Veterinary Medicines Authority, and the way they are applied complies with all relevant Tasmanian codes of practice.
We have included on our website a list of those coupes that:
* Are being monitored for potential insect control this summer and therefore may have a chemical application between Nov 2017 and Feb 2018; or
* Are expected to require a herbicide application in the next 6 months
To give an indication of the likely extent of chemical applications within coupes being monitored this summer, we have also listed as a comparison those coupes that had an insecticide application in 2016/17.
To assist stakeholders in identifying the locations of these coupes relative to their particular areas of interest, these coupes can be viewed on our interactive map viewer.
Sustainable Timber Tasmania welcomes stakeholder input to inform our detailed operational planning and decision making. In particular, we are keen to identify:
* Whether stakeholders have any specific concerns in relation to potential chemical applications on particular coupes
* Any issues that will need to be taken into account in detailed planning and decision making related to chemical applications on specific coupes
Stakeholders are encouraged to contact the Engagement Team as early as possible to register their interest in relation to any particular coupes or for more information.
The Engagement Team can be contacted by:
* Calling on 03 6169 2868
* Emailing email@example.com
* Mailing Engagement Team, GPO Box 207, Hobart, Tas, 7000
Manager, Engagement and Land Management